Skip to main content

What’s in a Prompt?

Sometimes it’s hard to think of a subject to blog about. I follow a few fandoms, but I don’t exactly keep up with their latest books and news. Trying to provide an up-to-date commentary when you don’t follow all the ins and outs of something is difficult!

…Then there is the regular news. I don’t think anyone reading this wants to click on my blog to see a political rant, so that’s automatically out. There is a time and place for politics, and long ago, I decided that this blog was not it.

I’ve seen a lot of witty DIY (Do It Yourself) blogs. DIY bloggers excel at cutesy metaphors to keep their readers entertained by their instructions. Anything DIY makes for a good prompt! Too bad I haven’t done anything lately that isn’t self-explanatory!

With all that being said, this blog isn’t going anywhere! I felt like rambling about the whims of trying to figure out what to blog about. Now…let’s top this post off with something different.

I’m going to find a random object and tell its story in one paragraph. I just need to get out of this chair and find something…

A jar of ash

This has been in my family for years. I have no idea how it found its way into my hands, but here it is. The ash is from Mount St. Helens (click here for Wikipedia’s entry about the volcano). In 1980, Mount St. Helens erupted, spewing everything a volcano is known to spew. Sometime after the eruption, my grandfather or a great uncle (I am not sure on the exact relation) visited the area and scooped some ash into a mason jar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SGS: Creativity!

Looking at Heather’s wonderful prompts, I just realized that April is almost over. Is it really the last Sunday of the month already!? How did that happen? Even with quarantine it feels like it just zipped by!  This week’s Seriously Geeky Sundays theme hits close to home, and I am super excited about it. As you all know, I’m an artist who loves to draw, paint, write, and sew!  26th April – Creativity What does creativity in fandoms/geeky interests mean to you? EVERYTHING. Just look at Club High Castle!  High Castle is the one fandom where I’ve felt like I’ve been allowed to flourish. The countless hours and dedication I’ve put into the things I’ve created has been appreciated by both fans and the cast and crew. I have never experienced anything like it, and it has genuinely made me happy over the years.  I’ve been in other fandoms where art and things just slipped by unnoticed–not that I’m seeking attention, but knowing that there are people out there who enjoy my...

Saving the world with High Castle and Field Team 6

Tuesday I had the awesome pleasure of joining the Axis of Good (Joel de la Fuente, Rufus Sewell, Chelah Horsdal, Stephen Root, Jason O’Mara, Frances Turner, Michael Gaston, Sebastian Roché, and Isa Hacket) with Field Team 6 for an evening of textbanking.  Let me tell you about the absolute blast I had! I didn’t know what to expect–was I nervous going in? You bet I was! I am probably the shyest person you’ll ever meet…until you get to know me, that is!  The week started off with absolute chaos, as 2020 weeks often do. I spent that day doing a bunch of house projects which involved a lot of nit and grit. I scrambled to get my laptop ready in time without bothering to fix my hair and without any attempt at looking presentable. Normally fans are muted and shuffled to the back of these things. Well….I clicked the link and HELLO WORLD! Hello Joel in particular because I know you saw me fumbling around and flustered! 😉  After a minute or so, I managed to turn my...

SGS: Fictional Fathers

Today is Father’s Day in the US. This is your reminder to call your dads 😉 June 21st – Father Figures As it’s Father’s Day today, we’re celebrating the father figures in our fandoms. The good, the bad and the downright bonkers ones. Who is your favourite fictional dad? This should come as no surprise to anyone. Can I get a drum roll, please? John Smith from The Man in the High Castle . He loved his children and was willing to do anything to protect them. He was active in their lives, and can I just mention a certain scene in Season 4 where I always burst out laughing? Jennifer has a male friend over and puts on an “illegal” record. Loud music permeates through the apartment as the two start dancing. Her sister Amy runs out of her room, and the two girls start screaming at each other. The friend follows them into the hallway, and the front door opens to reveal Smith walking into the apartment in the midst of the chaos.  Who is your favourite evil dad? John Smith. Yes, he is e...