Skip to main content

Seriously Geeky Sundays are Back!

Featured Image - Comic Books

Hello everyone! I am still alive. My brain just happened to take a trip across the multiverse of writer’s and artist’s block. It’s been years since I’ve had it this bad, and let me just say that I did not miss it. At all. I’m fighting it and fighting hard! 

Onto today’s Seriously Geeky Sundays topic: comic books: 

I was an avid fan of all things manga, so most of my answers are going to be about manga or graphic novels rather than your traditional comic book series. 

2nd – Comic Books

Normally the 1st of May is Free Comic Book Day, however, due to the pandemic, the organisers have chosen to move it to August with the hope of being able to celebrate it when stores are open again. I considered changing this week’s theme and then chose not to; it might not be Free Comic Book Day but we can still celebrate our love of comics 

Let’s start at the beginning; what was your first comic book?

Sailor Moon – I can’t remember the exact one, but when I was a junior in high school, one of my friends would bring her backpack full of manga and let us borrow them. I remember many a time slipping one inside a textbook during a particularly boring class and reading it. 

The first manga that I actually owned was also Sailor Moon related. Again, I can’t remember which one (it was so long ago). I remember buying every graphic novel I could. I sketched so many sailor concepts. So.Many.Of.Them.

Sailor Moon
Which comic did you read recently?

George Takei’s  They Called us Enemy

Which comic series would you recommend to someone just starting to read comics?

George Takei’s  They Called us Enemy because it has historical significance. It’s written and illustrated in a gripping way that is easy to follow. (I suggest this graphic novel to everyone. It is a must read about a not so great part of history). It’s a good graphic novel for someone just starting out. There aren’t a million characters or complicated quests (those are best saved for later).

What comic series do you have on your TBR (to be read) list?

I’ve been out of the comic book world for so long that I don’t know anymore. I enjoy a good manga or graphic novel, but I hate the ones that have a million issues and never end, which is the main reason why I haven’t kept up with them. I like stories you can start and finish without needing to read a 50 volume precursor.

With that being said, I’d like to read The Boys. Everyone who follows me knows how much I love Amazon’s adaptation of it. Another one I’d like to check out is Attack on Titan. I saw the first season of the anime on Netflix and was obsessed with it for a while (I have the  jacket and cape, just to give an example).

Photo courtesy of Prime Video
What are some of your favourite comic book series/titles?

My favorites tend to be stand alone comics or graphic novels (or ones with no more than 5 in a series for the reasons I mentioned in the last question). 

Babylon 5 – The Psi Corps and You
Things to Come –  written by Walter Koenig

Bablyon 5 - The Psi Corps And You!
I love this cheesy Psi Corps propaganda, okay! 😉
Who are your favourite comic book artists?

Naoko Takeuchi – creator of Sailor Moon
Hidekaz Himaruya – creator of Hetalia: Axis Powers (I love his style of eyes!)
Yuu Watase –  creator of Fushigi Yûgi. If you want to see beautiful art, check her stuff out! 

Fushigi Yuugi
Image courtesy of Wikipedia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SGS: Creativity!

Looking at Heather’s wonderful prompts, I just realized that April is almost over. Is it really the last Sunday of the month already!? How did that happen? Even with quarantine it feels like it just zipped by!  This week’s Seriously Geeky Sundays theme hits close to home, and I am super excited about it. As you all know, I’m an artist who loves to draw, paint, write, and sew!  26th April – Creativity What does creativity in fandoms/geeky interests mean to you? EVERYTHING. Just look at Club High Castle!  High Castle is the one fandom where I’ve felt like I’ve been allowed to flourish. The countless hours and dedication I’ve put into the things I’ve created has been appreciated by both fans and the cast and crew. I have never experienced anything like it, and it has genuinely made me happy over the years.  I’ve been in other fandoms where art and things just slipped by unnoticed–not that I’m seeking attention, but knowing that there are people out there who enjoy my...

SGS: Fictional Fathers

Today is Father’s Day in the US. This is your reminder to call your dads 😉 June 21st – Father Figures As it’s Father’s Day today, we’re celebrating the father figures in our fandoms. The good, the bad and the downright bonkers ones. Who is your favourite fictional dad? This should come as no surprise to anyone. Can I get a drum roll, please? John Smith from The Man in the High Castle . He loved his children and was willing to do anything to protect them. He was active in their lives, and can I just mention a certain scene in Season 4 where I always burst out laughing? Jennifer has a male friend over and puts on an “illegal” record. Loud music permeates through the apartment as the two start dancing. Her sister Amy runs out of her room, and the two girls start screaming at each other. The friend follows them into the hallway, and the front door opens to reveal Smith walking into the apartment in the midst of the chaos.  Who is your favourite evil dad? John Smith. Yes, he is e...

A Very Stylish Geeky Sunday

Costumes, costumes, and more costumes! I am here for this. Before COVID, I was an avid purveyor of all things cosplay and even cosplayed incognito, so today’s prompt is something I have been looking forward to.  15th November – Adorn Last month we were talking about visual locations with Embellish, and this month Adorn brings us to costumes! Characters wear an assortment of outfits throughout fandoms and this week we’re talking all about costumes, fashion and more. If you could steal any character’s wardrobe* which would it be? I was just having this conversation with @ChelahFan on Twitter! Ever since I first watched The Man in the High Castle way back in 2015, I was mesmerized with Helen’s Smith’s beautiful wardrobe (it was just so classy that I wanted to look like her). I’ve been slowly phasing my wardrobe into a mixture of vintage (reproduction dresses), modern, and pinup.  Dressing like her is a lot of work. You’ve got the retro dresses which require some clever ways to keep...