Skip to main content

SGS: What's Your Cup of Coffee?

Today’s prompt was a labyrinth of discovering scenes I enjoy in a genre that is not my cup of coffee. Thank you, Heather, for this exercise in critical thinking! I tend to forgo romance in fiction for something else (almost anything else, which shows you just how much it isn’t my flavor!). 

Seriously Geeky Sunday is brought to you by the creative Heather at geeking-by.net!

July 5th – Romance is in the air

July 6th is International Kissing Day so today we’re diving into the world romance this week.

Who is your favourite couple?

John/Helen from The Man in the High Castle

What is your favourite romantic scene?

As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, romance is not my cup of coffee. When I know a long, drawn out romantic scene is coming, my first instinct is to skip it because I’d rather have 5 minutes of plot than 5 minutes of nothing (it’s just boring to me; there is no other way to put it 😉 ). 

However, there are rare times when I appreciate these sorts of scenes, and Ed/Jack in The Man in the High Castle is one of those times. I was happy Ed found someone and could be happy in that world. He was the nicest character (along with Thomas) and deserved nothing but the best and to live out the rest of his days with Jack in peace. 

What is the perfect fictional place for a romantic date?

Since Disneyland isn’t fictional, I’m going to have to put my thinking cap on. 

It would have to be exploring Westeros on the backs of dragons from Fire & Blood by George R. R. Martin. Imagine the wind against your face as you laugh with your significant other, soaring through the air. You gaze down at Riverrun and Winterfell as the air grows colder, but your blood is fire, and you don’t feel it. You eventually make your way to The Wall and cross over beyond it. The pair of you find a forgotten field, blanketed with snow and let loose dragonfire. 

Soaring over the East coast during the Great Polar Vortex of 2018
Some romantic scenes are adorable, and then some are just plain awkward. What’s the most awkward scene you can recall?

99% of them are awkward. I’ll have to go with any time Gale tries to hit on Katniss in the Hunger Games trilogy. He is the stereotypical “nice guy,” and it’s just creepy. It is obvious she feels she has to kiss him because of it. I’m going to prove my point by this excerpt…I mean, look WHEN he decides to pull his creepy “nice guy” stunt.

What is your favourite wedding scene?

We skipped most of the Pam/Jim wedding episode in the Office if that provides a hint of things…none of them? 😉 Okay, okay, I’ll play nice! I have literally been sitting here for ten minutes trying to think of one. It’s time to write my own.

Pick a fandom and play kiss/marry/avoid!

Now this is a fun one! I feel like I’m young again! And thank you, Heather, for changing the last one to avoid. 

I’ll pick Babylon 5

  • Kiss – Psi Cop from that fun Psi Corps commercial
  • Marry – Bester (this should not surprise anyone)
  • Avoid – Sheridan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SGS: Creativity!

Looking at Heather’s wonderful prompts, I just realized that April is almost over. Is it really the last Sunday of the month already!? How did that happen? Even with quarantine it feels like it just zipped by!  This week’s Seriously Geeky Sundays theme hits close to home, and I am super excited about it. As you all know, I’m an artist who loves to draw, paint, write, and sew!  26th April – Creativity What does creativity in fandoms/geeky interests mean to you? EVERYTHING. Just look at Club High Castle!  High Castle is the one fandom where I’ve felt like I’ve been allowed to flourish. The countless hours and dedication I’ve put into the things I’ve created has been appreciated by both fans and the cast and crew. I have never experienced anything like it, and it has genuinely made me happy over the years.  I’ve been in other fandoms where art and things just slipped by unnoticed–not that I’m seeking attention, but knowing that there are people out there who enjoy my...

A Very Stylish Geeky Sunday

Costumes, costumes, and more costumes! I am here for this. Before COVID, I was an avid purveyor of all things cosplay and even cosplayed incognito, so today’s prompt is something I have been looking forward to.  15th November – Adorn Last month we were talking about visual locations with Embellish, and this month Adorn brings us to costumes! Characters wear an assortment of outfits throughout fandoms and this week we’re talking all about costumes, fashion and more. If you could steal any character’s wardrobe* which would it be? I was just having this conversation with @ChelahFan on Twitter! Ever since I first watched The Man in the High Castle way back in 2015, I was mesmerized with Helen’s Smith’s beautiful wardrobe (it was just so classy that I wanted to look like her). I’ve been slowly phasing my wardrobe into a mixture of vintage (reproduction dresses), modern, and pinup.  Dressing like her is a lot of work. You’ve got the retro dresses which require some clever ways to keep...

Busy Little Bee!

I’ve been busy (mostly getting sidetracked) with a lot of things, but I managed to squeeze in another drawing for January. Yes, it’s Babylon 5 related…I can’t seem to not stay away from that show! Talia’s Night Out ~ A night of solitary reflection ~ I’m going to eventually digitalize it. I’m not sure when I’ll get around to it though. I feel like a scatterbrain with all of the things I keep getting distracted with! I am going to keep uploading pictures as I draw them instead of doing a giant post at the end of the month. I want to see how I like it compared to how I did it the previous two years.