Skip to main content

Seriously Geeky Sundays: Easter & Spring

Easter 2019, about to board the train from Vancouver, BC to Seattle

For the first time in several years, I am home for Easter. Normally I am on the West Coast for work and would be taking a train to see my sister or father (or aunt/uncles!). While I am sad that I won’t get to see them this year, I am thankful that everyone is safe and healthy, and hopefully I’ll be able to see them over the summer.

Because I’m normally on the other side of the country, I forgot to stock up on Easter candy and Easter things! 

Without further ado, here is this week’s Seriously Geeky Sunday!

12th April – Easter & Spring

Who is your favourite bunny?

Frank the Rabbit in Donnie Darko…Okay, I’ll pick a less creepy favorite! Bugs Bunny was *the* rabbit when I was a kid. Looney Tunes was the most exciting thing on the planet for 5 year old me, ha ha!

Spring is a time of rebirth so thinking about fictional worlds and characters; what does rebirth mean to you?
  • A second chance
  • A chance to try again–to keep trying until you accomplish your goal(s)
  • A chance to let yourself blossom and thrive
Easter wouldn’t be the same without Easter Eggs; if you could have anything hatch from an egg what would it be?

This is easy! A dragon. I’d ride it across the seven kingdoms 😉  Flying and fire = WIN. 

What fictional location reminds you of spring?

Spring here is chaotic. One year it will be mild and warm, another year it will be endless, miserable rain, and another year it will have scattered snowstorms. It’s not my favorite season when it’s the latter two, so I’ll have to go with a summer in Winterfell – it can be cold there when the ravens cry “Summer! Summer!”

An Easter egg isn’t just a chocolate treat it’s also a hidden item for fans to spot. What’s your favourite easter egg?

I am the worst person to spot Easter eggs in movies and television. I even googled this to see if there were any I unknowingly found, but nothing rang a bell. The same goes for riddles. It’s just not a skill I have, ha ha! 

Plan a themed Easter egg hunt for your favourite characters.

A High Castle Easter

Ed smiles as he carries a carton of hard boiled eggs. Some of them are dyed in earthy yellows, oranges, and reds, while the others retain their natural brown state. His heart races, not out of fear, but out of joy. When was the last time he, Frank, and Jules were together? And now he had Jack; this was going to be an Easter to remember!

He pauses for a moment and places the first egg underneath a rose bush. Yes, it was a bit childish, but in a world of sorrow, sadness, and death, there needed to be little echos of light.

Hope.

He places the second egg in a patch of grass. His stomach growls. They were going to enjoy the eggs with salt, pepper, and bottles of Fanta later on. Jack said he had a surprise for them. Ed beams. The sun is out, bathing the small village in warmth. 

Today was going to be a good day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SGS: Creativity!

Looking at Heather’s wonderful prompts, I just realized that April is almost over. Is it really the last Sunday of the month already!? How did that happen? Even with quarantine it feels like it just zipped by!  This week’s Seriously Geeky Sundays theme hits close to home, and I am super excited about it. As you all know, I’m an artist who loves to draw, paint, write, and sew!  26th April – Creativity What does creativity in fandoms/geeky interests mean to you? EVERYTHING. Just look at Club High Castle!  High Castle is the one fandom where I’ve felt like I’ve been allowed to flourish. The countless hours and dedication I’ve put into the things I’ve created has been appreciated by both fans and the cast and crew. I have never experienced anything like it, and it has genuinely made me happy over the years.  I’ve been in other fandoms where art and things just slipped by unnoticed–not that I’m seeking attention, but knowing that there are people out there who enjoy my...

SGS: Fictional Fathers

Today is Father’s Day in the US. This is your reminder to call your dads 😉 June 21st – Father Figures As it’s Father’s Day today, we’re celebrating the father figures in our fandoms. The good, the bad and the downright bonkers ones. Who is your favourite fictional dad? This should come as no surprise to anyone. Can I get a drum roll, please? John Smith from The Man in the High Castle . He loved his children and was willing to do anything to protect them. He was active in their lives, and can I just mention a certain scene in Season 4 where I always burst out laughing? Jennifer has a male friend over and puts on an “illegal” record. Loud music permeates through the apartment as the two start dancing. Her sister Amy runs out of her room, and the two girls start screaming at each other. The friend follows them into the hallway, and the front door opens to reveal Smith walking into the apartment in the midst of the chaos.  Who is your favourite evil dad? John Smith. Yes, he is e...

A Very Stylish Geeky Sunday

Costumes, costumes, and more costumes! I am here for this. Before COVID, I was an avid purveyor of all things cosplay and even cosplayed incognito, so today’s prompt is something I have been looking forward to.  15th November – Adorn Last month we were talking about visual locations with Embellish, and this month Adorn brings us to costumes! Characters wear an assortment of outfits throughout fandoms and this week we’re talking all about costumes, fashion and more. If you could steal any character’s wardrobe* which would it be? I was just having this conversation with @ChelahFan on Twitter! Ever since I first watched The Man in the High Castle way back in 2015, I was mesmerized with Helen’s Smith’s beautiful wardrobe (it was just so classy that I wanted to look like her). I’ve been slowly phasing my wardrobe into a mixture of vintage (reproduction dresses), modern, and pinup.  Dressing like her is a lot of work. You’ve got the retro dresses which require some clever ways to keep...