Skip to main content

A Circle Skirt of Fandoms

And trying to make progress on my novel!

I swear I will hit one of my monthly writing goals at one point this year! I’m going to go out on a limb and say I was aiming a bit too high when I sat down and made a game plan. I haven’t been able to finish anything since completing my Sisters novel, and I desperately want to change that.

#HighCastle/#Babylon5 Bester Circle Skirt

Say that ten times fast!

No. Seriously. I am making this, and it is A Thing. I bought myself a sewing machine with Christmas money in January, and life is too short to not aspire to create your own vintage fandom ensembles.

Isn’t she lovely? I got a great deal on her with Amazon Renewed!

My First Sewing Adventure Since 2010

I took time to plan this out because I want this to be the most beautiful and unlikely combination I’ve ever created, which means I wanted to start with something simple. Circle skirts are simple, right?

Step 1: Math. Circles. The waist is the circumference, and you need the radius of it in order to sketch the pattern and cut a proper waistband.

w = waistr = radiusd = diameters = desired skirt length - don't forget to decide how long you want that skirt to fall!w/π = dd/2 = r

Step 2: Order enough fabric or you’ll find yourself having to buy another panel and having to sew it together. I must say that sewing was a breeze with my machine.

Step 3: Make an old school compass. No. Really. This is the best way to do it. Get a strand of yarn, make sure it’s a few inches longer than (r + s), and grab the nearest pen. Tie the yarn to the pen. Tie the other end to a pin, and stab that pin into the carpet! It is helpful to secure some measuring tape to the pin as well.

You’re going to use the radius you calculated in the first step and wrap the yarn around the pen until it’s there.

Using the pin you stabbed into the carpet as an anchor, draw a half circle. Add the radius to your desired skirt length (r + s) to draw the skirt part–if you don’t, your skirt will be too short.

Step 4: flatten the fabric (and pin if necessary) and cut 1/2 inch outside the lines.

Step 5: The fun part! If you want to add some flair now is the time to do it.

The next step is to do a little bit of my favorite thing in the universe: hand sew the iron on patches to ensure they stay in place. I am not going lie. I hate hand sewing, so it might be forever before I get around to it. Oh the absolute dread of hand sewing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SGS: Creativity!

Looking at Heather’s wonderful prompts, I just realized that April is almost over. Is it really the last Sunday of the month already!? How did that happen? Even with quarantine it feels like it just zipped by!  This week’s Seriously Geeky Sundays theme hits close to home, and I am super excited about it. As you all know, I’m an artist who loves to draw, paint, write, and sew!  26th April – Creativity What does creativity in fandoms/geeky interests mean to you? EVERYTHING. Just look at Club High Castle!  High Castle is the one fandom where I’ve felt like I’ve been allowed to flourish. The countless hours and dedication I’ve put into the things I’ve created has been appreciated by both fans and the cast and crew. I have never experienced anything like it, and it has genuinely made me happy over the years.  I’ve been in other fandoms where art and things just slipped by unnoticed–not that I’m seeking attention, but knowing that there are people out there who enjoy my...

SGS: Fictional Fathers

Today is Father’s Day in the US. This is your reminder to call your dads 😉 June 21st – Father Figures As it’s Father’s Day today, we’re celebrating the father figures in our fandoms. The good, the bad and the downright bonkers ones. Who is your favourite fictional dad? This should come as no surprise to anyone. Can I get a drum roll, please? John Smith from The Man in the High Castle . He loved his children and was willing to do anything to protect them. He was active in their lives, and can I just mention a certain scene in Season 4 where I always burst out laughing? Jennifer has a male friend over and puts on an “illegal” record. Loud music permeates through the apartment as the two start dancing. Her sister Amy runs out of her room, and the two girls start screaming at each other. The friend follows them into the hallway, and the front door opens to reveal Smith walking into the apartment in the midst of the chaos.  Who is your favourite evil dad? John Smith. Yes, he is e...

A Very Stylish Geeky Sunday

Costumes, costumes, and more costumes! I am here for this. Before COVID, I was an avid purveyor of all things cosplay and even cosplayed incognito, so today’s prompt is something I have been looking forward to.  15th November – Adorn Last month we were talking about visual locations with Embellish, and this month Adorn brings us to costumes! Characters wear an assortment of outfits throughout fandoms and this week we’re talking all about costumes, fashion and more. If you could steal any character’s wardrobe* which would it be? I was just having this conversation with @ChelahFan on Twitter! Ever since I first watched The Man in the High Castle way back in 2015, I was mesmerized with Helen’s Smith’s beautiful wardrobe (it was just so classy that I wanted to look like her). I’ve been slowly phasing my wardrobe into a mixture of vintage (reproduction dresses), modern, and pinup.  Dressing like her is a lot of work. You’ve got the retro dresses which require some clever ways to keep...