Skip to main content

Vancouver: Part 2

A Man in the High Castle story

Technically this isn’t Vancouver, and I was going to save these photos for last because it was the final part of my journey, but I was inspired to write a #HighCastle mini story, so here we are! I took the photos at Snoqualmie Falls in Washington State.

The Bird in the Woods

Takes place during Season 1: Episode 10

The morning chill stung his nose, but his heart was racing so fast that he did not feel it. A breeze rustled through the giant pine trees, creating an eerie whir. As he walked beside the man who had orchestrated the assassination attempt on his life, John thought about Helen and the children. If anything should happen to them…

Helen was a strong woman, a good woman. She knew what to do.

He was tempted to suck in a sharp breath, but that would reveal the fear threatening to consume him. Don’t let your emotions get in the way of what is right. 

As their boots padded along the silent trail, a steady roar began to permeate through the morning mist. A bird chirped overhead, and John slowed his pace. His nemeses shot him a sideways glance.

“Have you seen the waterfall?” he asked.

“I have no desire to,” Heydrich replied. “It’s best to stay on the trail. We have much to discuss. It’s time to end the silence between us.”

“Indeed,” John replied. The trail wrapped around a tree, and John knew that, like it or not, Heydrich would get a view of the falls. The roar grew louder, and the moisture in the air began to stick to his face.

The trail wove them around an ancient tree as wide as a vehicle. The waterfall burst through the foliage, and John shot his nemeses a look.

“You get your wish, Smith,” Heydrich said, his tone even. Another bird chirped overhead, its cries muffled by the power of the water. It chirped three times before John began walking again. Heydrich issued a wry laugh.

“For a second there, Smith…”

John did not answer. He did not need to. His man was in place. Adrenaline pumped through his veins, prickling the hairs on the back of his neck.

Whatever happens, Helen, I love you. 

… Fin …


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SGS: Creativity!

Looking at Heather’s wonderful prompts, I just realized that April is almost over. Is it really the last Sunday of the month already!? How did that happen? Even with quarantine it feels like it just zipped by!  This week’s Seriously Geeky Sundays theme hits close to home, and I am super excited about it. As you all know, I’m an artist who loves to draw, paint, write, and sew!  26th April – Creativity What does creativity in fandoms/geeky interests mean to you? EVERYTHING. Just look at Club High Castle!  High Castle is the one fandom where I’ve felt like I’ve been allowed to flourish. The countless hours and dedication I’ve put into the things I’ve created has been appreciated by both fans and the cast and crew. I have never experienced anything like it, and it has genuinely made me happy over the years.  I’ve been in other fandoms where art and things just slipped by unnoticed–not that I’m seeking attention, but knowing that there are people out there who enjoy my...

SGS: Fictional Fathers

Today is Father’s Day in the US. This is your reminder to call your dads 😉 June 21st – Father Figures As it’s Father’s Day today, we’re celebrating the father figures in our fandoms. The good, the bad and the downright bonkers ones. Who is your favourite fictional dad? This should come as no surprise to anyone. Can I get a drum roll, please? John Smith from The Man in the High Castle . He loved his children and was willing to do anything to protect them. He was active in their lives, and can I just mention a certain scene in Season 4 where I always burst out laughing? Jennifer has a male friend over and puts on an “illegal” record. Loud music permeates through the apartment as the two start dancing. Her sister Amy runs out of her room, and the two girls start screaming at each other. The friend follows them into the hallway, and the front door opens to reveal Smith walking into the apartment in the midst of the chaos.  Who is your favourite evil dad? John Smith. Yes, he is e...

A Very Stylish Geeky Sunday

Costumes, costumes, and more costumes! I am here for this. Before COVID, I was an avid purveyor of all things cosplay and even cosplayed incognito, so today’s prompt is something I have been looking forward to.  15th November – Adorn Last month we were talking about visual locations with Embellish, and this month Adorn brings us to costumes! Characters wear an assortment of outfits throughout fandoms and this week we’re talking all about costumes, fashion and more. If you could steal any character’s wardrobe* which would it be? I was just having this conversation with @ChelahFan on Twitter! Ever since I first watched The Man in the High Castle way back in 2015, I was mesmerized with Helen’s Smith’s beautiful wardrobe (it was just so classy that I wanted to look like her). I’ve been slowly phasing my wardrobe into a mixture of vintage (reproduction dresses), modern, and pinup.  Dressing like her is a lot of work. You’ve got the retro dresses which require some clever ways to keep...